The 2023-2024 application is now closed. Application timeline for 2024-2025 scholarships will be announced at a later date.
Through the Legends Care initiative, the National Basketball Retired Players Association (NBRPA) has created a scholarship fund and scholars program for undergraduates attending HBCUs. Together with NBA and WNBA Legends, we are proud to honor the rich history of HBCUs and their alums while moving the legacy forward by supporting current HBCU undergraduates.
Legends Scholars will receive a $10,000 scholarship in recognition of their academic excellence and desire to positively impact the world.
As part of the overall Legends Scholars program, in addition to a $10,000 scholarship, Legends Scholars will receive:
- Membership to the NBRPA's Legends Scholars job board
- Access to internship/job opportunities around the sports industry and/or with Legends' companies
- During their scholarship year, Legends Scholars will receive complimentary access, travel and lodging for NBA All-Star Weekend
- During their senior year, Legends Scholars will take part in a complimentary career development session
- Upon graduating from an HBCU, Legends Scholars will enter the Legends Scholars Mentoring Program
- Must be a rising full-time sophomore, junior or senior enrolled at a four-year HBCU
- Must be a U.S. Citizen or U.S. Permanent Resident
- 3.7 GPA minimum
- Annual household income (AGI) maximum of $100,000
REQUIRED SUPPLEMENTAL DOCUMENTS
- 2021/2022 Income Tax Return or 2022-2023 FAFSA Student Aid Report
- One (1) recommendation letter from HBCU faculty/administrator/coach
- Most recent transcript (official or unofficial)
LEGENDS HBCU SCHOLARSHIP FAQs
If I receive a Legends HBCU Scholarship can I apply again?
No, each Legends Scholar may only receive one (1) Legends HBCU Scholarship during their undergraduate tenure.
My parent played in the NBA/WNBA, can I apply?
The Legends HBCU Scholarship is not open to family members of NBA/WNBA/ABA/Harlem Globetrotters players (former or current), NBRPA staff or NBRPA Board Members. If your parent is an NBA/WNBA Legend, please contact 312-913-9400 for information on the Dave DeBusschere Scholarship.
Will I receive a check in the mail if I am awarded a Legends HBCU Scholarship?
No, all scholarship checks will be made out to the HBCU that the Legends Scholars attend and mailed to their HBCU's Financial Aid Office.
What term does the scholarship go towards?
The 2023 Legends HBCU Scholarship will be applied to the 2023-2024 academic year.
Can I apply even if I don't play basketball?
Yes! The Legends HBCU Scholarship is awarded to Legends Scholars in recognition of their academic excellence and desire to positively impact the world.
How many scholarships are available?
In 2023, there are five (5) NBRPA Legends Scholarships available.
What if I transfer schools after I'm awarded a Legends HBCU Scholarship?
The Legends HBCU Scholarship is for current full-time undergraduates at four-year HBCUs. If a Legends Scholar transfers to a school that does not qualify as a four-year HBCU during their scholarship year then they forfeit their scholarship.
What is the application deadline?
Application timeline for the 2024-2025 scholarships will be announced at a later date.
I missed the deadline, can I submit my application late?
Applications will close at 11:59pm ET on Wednesday, March 22, 2023. If you miss the deadline, be sure to apply in 2024 for a Legends HBCU Scholarship for the 2024-2025 academic year.
For more more information about the Legends HBCU Scholarship, the Legends Scholars program or questions about how to donate to the Legends HBCU Scholarship Fund, please contact HBCU@legendsofbasketball.com or 312-913-9400.